Communities considering improving efficiencies or making sustainable cost reductions in the area of public safety may be eligible for a Local Government Efficiency grant to assist with studying the feasibility of different options or to assist with implementation of a strategy.
Example: The Defreestville Fire Protection District and the North Greenbush Fire District #1 consolidated into a single town-wide fire district. The consolidation study and implementation plan were funded from the 2006 SMSI grant program.
Note: For Consolidations and Dissolutions initiated prior to March 21, 2010, please contact the Department of State for answers to any questions; by email at: [email protected] or by phone at: 518-473-3355.
The Department of State and other state agencies have prepared a number of resources to help communities with improving efficiencies in public safety.
- Intergovernmental Cooperation
- The Reorganization of Local Government
- Legal Framework for Providing Local Government Services
Through the Local Government Efficiency Grant program, communities have studied transportation issues.
- Town of North Greenbush Fire District Consolidation
- Chemung County Fire Services Study
- Town of Hempstead EMS Study
- Schenectady County Unified Communications Center Model
- Town and Village of Saugerties Police Consolidation
- City of Cohoes Study