Existing Corporations and Businesses


Beginning November 29, the Division of Corporations, State Records and Uniform Commercial Code Customer Service Counter in Albany New York will begin accepting documents that are dropped off. Customers will be able to drop off any documents for processing. Documents that are dropped off will be returned to customers via mail.

The Department of State will accept in person legal process served on the Secretary of State or Department of State as statutory agent of a corporation or other business entity, by appointment. For service of process issues, including the scheduling of an appointment, please call 518-473-2492 so that arrangements can be made to effectuate service.

Customers are encouraged to use the online filing system available on the Department of State's website to form business corporations and limited liability companies.

All other services (e.g. corporation and other business entity filings, document search requests, certificates of status, UCC filings and searches) can be mailed to:

Department of State
Division of Corporations, State Records and Uniform Commercial Code
1 Commerce Plaza 99 Washington Avenue, 6th Floor Albany, NY 12231

Please call 518-473-2492 with any questions.



Please note the Division of Corporations, State Records and Uniform Commercial Code is currently experiencing a delay in processing certain documents  including, corporation and business entity certificates (e.g. Certificate of Amendment). The mailing of legal process (summons and complaints) served on the Secretary of State to entities being served has also been delayed. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay. Please contact the Division if you have any questions.



Updating Corporation or Business Entity Records with the Department of State

Existing domestic and authorized foreign corporations and other business entities may update their status or amend their records on file with the Department of State by filing documents such as certificates of amendment, certificates of merger and certificates of dissolution.

File Your Biennial Statement

Domestic/foreign business corporations and domestic and foreign limited liability companies are required to file a Biennial Statement every two years with the Department of State.

The filing period is the calendar month in which the original Certificate of Incorporation, Articles of Organization, or Application for Authority was filed.

Failure to file a Biennial Statement may prevent a corporation or LLC from completing certain business transactions.

Request Copies of Documents and Certificates of Status