Anyone that engages in any game, contest or other promotion or advertising scheme in connection with the promotion, advertising or sale of consumer products or services which offers the opportunity to receive prizes, as determined by chance, without any consideration therefor, in excess of five thousand dollars, must first file a registration setting forth the contest rules, odds and other contest information with the Secretary of State. For Statutory Provisions: NYS General Business Law, Article 24-A, Section 369-e.
$100 filling fee must accompany the Games of Chance Registration.
Personal Checks, Postal Money Orders and Cashier's Checks are accepted. Make payable to the NYS Department of State. Checks over $500 must be certified.
Common Denial Reasons
- Insufficient information
- Incorrect information
- Incorrect fees
How to File
- File a Games of Chance Registration
- In order to be registerable, a game of chance must:
- promote consumer products or services
- have a total prize value in excess of $5,000
- determine a winner by chance
- require no consideration for entering the Game of Chance
- Attach a Certificate of Deposit or Games of Chance Surety Bond for the total prize amount.
- Attach the rules and regulations pertaining to the promotion, advertising scheme or plan.
- The completed Games of Chance Registration, together with a certificate of deposit or surety bond for the total prize amount and the rules and regulations must be forwarded to:
- New York Department of State, Division of Corporations, State Records and Uniform Commercial Code, State Records Bureau, One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12231
Within 90 days after completion of the game of chance, a Certification of Winners listing of the names and addresses of each winner of every prize having a value of more than $25, along with a description of the prize won and the date when the prize was delivered, must be filed with the New York Department of State.