Oath/Affirmation of State Employees


The Civil Service Law requires employees of the State to take and file an oath of office or an alternative statement.  State employees are also required to file a related certification pursuant to the Public Officers Law.

State Employee Oath or Statement in Lieu of Oath

Civil Service Law Section 62 requires every person employed by New York State or any of its civil divisions, except an employee in the labor class, prior to the discharge of his or her duties, to take the oath required by the New York State Constitution. In lieu of the oath, a state employee may execute and file the statement prescribed by Civil Service Law Section 62.

An enrolled member of an Indian nation or an Indian individual having an affiliation with an Indian nation recognized by the United States or the State of New York may elect to comply with the requirements of Civil Service Law Section 62 by subscribing and filing the statement prescribed by such section.

State employees must file their oath or statement with the Secretary of State.  All other public employees, including employees of municipalities, should review Civil Service Law Section 62 to determine the proper filing office for their oath or statement.

How to File

Instructions for completing and filing forms:

  1. Only forms provided by the Department of State may be used.  Other forms are unacceptable for filing and will be returned. 
  2. Type all required information, except for the signature, on to the fillable form.  Illegible forms will be returned. 
  3. Print the form.
  4. Signed with black ink.  Most forms require a signature in two places.
  5. Completed forms must be mailed or hand delivered to:
    1.  New York Department of State, State Records, One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, 6th Floor, Albany, NY 12231.
    2. Completed forms may be hand delivered Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the above address.

State Employees Forms

State employees, other than employees of the Senate or Assembly, must complete the following form:

Senate or Assembly Forms

Employees of the Senate or Assembly must complete the following form:

Contact Division of Corporations, State Records and Uniform Commercial Code

Contact the Division of Corporations, State Records, and Uniform Commercial Code

Contact us by phone:

Contact us by email: