An individual or an existing domestic or foreign corporation may reserve a corporation name for use at a later date by filing an Application for Reservation of Name pursuant to Section 303 of the Business Corporation Law.
The filing of an Application for Reservation of Name will reserve a name for 60 days.
The filing receipt entitled “Certificate of Reservation” issued by the Department of State for the filing of the Application for Reservation of Name must be submitted and filed with the document to which the Application for Reservation of Name is applicable.
How to File
- Complete and file an Application for Reservation of Name with the Department of State.
- The completed Application for Reservation of Name, together with the statutory filing fee of $20, should be forwarded to:
- NYS Department of State, Division of Corporations, One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12231
- The Division of Corporations is required by statute to reject for use any corporate, limited partnership, or limited liability company name that is not "distinguishable" from existing names on file. The only avenue to determine whether a name is available for a corporation, limited partnership or limited liability company is to make a name availability inquiry. The Corporation and Business Entity Database online search is intended for status inquiries of entities already on file with the Department of State. Customers are cautioned to avoid interpreting database search information as an indication that a name is or is not available for use.
- The records of the Division of Corporations may be searched for availability of name by submitting a written request to the Department of State, Division of Corporations, One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12231.
- The written inquiry should state that you wish to determine the availability of a name and list the name or names to be searched. Although it is not required, it is recommended that a copy of the name availability response be attached to the document you are submitting for filing.
- A finding that the name is available is not an approval of the name by the Department of State and is not a determination that the proposed name satisfies any particular requirement of law. No expenditure or other commitment should be made in reliance upon the availability of a name.
- Pursuant to Section 96 of the New York State Executive Law, the fee for searching the records for availability of name is $5 per name submitted.
- Please note that the Department's determination regarding the availability of a name applies only to the date and time that the name search was completed. Requests for name availability cannot be handled by telephone.
$20 filing fee for the Application for Reservation of Name.
- All fees must be paid by cash, check, money order, MasterCard, Visa or American Express.
- To pay for a fee using your credit card or debit card, complete and sign the Credit Card/Debit Card Authorization Form and submit it to the Division of Corporations with your request for service.
- Checks and money orders should be made payable to the “Department of State.” Please do not send cash through the mail. All checks over $500 must be certified.
- Expedited Handling Services: (optional) The NYS Department of State's Division of Corporations offers expedited processing of time-sensitive documents. For an additional fee, the Department of State will process a document within the following time frames for the additional fee indicated; $25.00 per document for processing within 24 hours, $75.00 per document for processing within the same day, or $150.00 per document for processing within 2 hours.
- The additional, non-refundable fee for expedited processing service must be paid by a separate check or money order or indicated in the appropriate space on the Credit Card/Debit Card Authorization Form.
- The Division of Corporations accepts MasterCard, Visa and American Express for the payment of fees. To pay for a fee using your credit card or debit card, simply complete and sign the Credit Card/Debit Card Authorization Form and submit it to the Division of Corporations with your request for service.
- The Credit Card/Debit Card Authorization Form submitted with any request for services must specifically indicate the level of expedited service requested.
- The envelope bearing documents for filing and other requests for expedited processing services must be marked with the notation "Expedited Processing" on the envelope.
Contact Division of Corporations, State Records and Uniform Commercial Code
Contact the Division of Corporations, State Records, and Uniform Commercial Code