The South Shore Estuary Reserve Council is chaired by the New York State Secretary of State and comprised of representatives from State and local governments, non-profit and academic organizations and other local stakeholders focused on the preservation, protection and enhancement of the natural, recreational, and economic resources of the Reserve. The Long Island South Shore Estuary Reserve Act charged the Council with developing a Comprehensive Management Plan (CMP) for the South Shore Estuary Reserve, which was released in 2001. The Council guides actions that are taken to fulfill goals of the CMP.
Long Island SSER Act
Council Member Organizations include the following:
- New York State Department of State (Secretary of State – Council Chair)
- Suffolk County
- Nassau County
- City of Long Beach
- Town of Hempstead
- Town of Oyster Bay
- Town of Babylon
- Town of Islip
- Town of Brookhaven
- Town of Southampton
- NYS Conference of Mayors
- Citizens Advisory Committee Chair
- Technical Advisory Committee Chair
- Great South Bay Audubon Society
- Stony Brook University, School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
- New York Sportfishing Federation
- Long Island Association
- Long Island Builders Institute
- Property Owners Association
- New York Marine Trades Association
- The Nature Conservancy, L.I. Chapter
- Brookhaven Baymen's Association
- Captree Boatmen’s Association
The members of the council shall serve without compensation and shall not be reimbursed for personal expenses.
Meetings are held from 1:00pm-3:00pm, locations vary.
- Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at Brookhaven Town Hall
- Tuesday, April 18, 2023
- Tuesday, July 18, 2023
- Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Nassau County Back Bays Draft Integrated Feasibility Report and Environmental Impact Statement - Presentation
US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) gave presentation on Nassau County Back Bays Study.
Suffolk County presented an update on water quality initiatives.
Long Island Nitrogen Action Plan (LINAP) presentation on project status updates.
Contact Long Island South Shore Estuary Reserve Office
Contact us by email:
New York Department of State
Office of Planning and Development
250 Veterans Memorial Highway Room #2A15
Hauppauge, New York 11788